Friday, April 4, 2014

The New Face of Diesel

Nicola Formichetti joined Diesel last year and just debuted his collection for Fall 2014.  Historically I have liked Diesel's look.  Somewhat edgy, contemporary, luxery.  However I'm not feeling this new direction which founder Renzo Rosso is quoted as saying, "This is not just a runway show; this is what we want to be in the next 10 years,” and on to “We want to be the contemporary alternative to the world of luxury— no more frivolous things. We want to deliver a very precise image.”

The very precise image reflected in the runway show, is more like looking at photos of the goth/punk subculture of the 1990s.  It's been done before and feels very dated.  At least in my opinion.  Judge for yourself:

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

My favorite pieces from the collection are what I believe Diesel has always done best; jeans:

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

Diesel RTW Fall 2014

Other than that, I have to say, I was quite underwhelmed.

What do you think?  Would you wear any of the pieces from their collection?  I think it will be interesting to see how their vision for the next decade plays out and if it stays in this direction or if the market takes it to a new vision.

PS. Are you following me on Pinterest?  If not, you should be!  I have boards for everything from children's fashion to street fashion to dream closets, etc.  User: UntradFashion (they limit your characters for your username).

No comments:

Post a Comment