Monday, April 27, 2015

Age of Adaline

Over the weekend I got to spend time with one of my oldest and dearest friends in Portland.  While I was there we went to the Portland Museum of Art to see their Italian Fashion Exhibit (which I will talk about in a different post) and we went and saw The Age of Adaline.

I was so excited to see this movie.  As you all know by now, I love Blake Lively (I think we are meant to be BFFs - someone work on that K?) so of course that's a big reason why I wanted to see it, but also I was really exited to see the fashion from the film.  From all the press I had seen for the movie previously, the ward-robing looked amazing and the movie itself did not disappoint.

For those that aren't familiar with the premise of the movie, Adaline has an accident and from that point on, no longer ages, so the movie spans decades of her in her 20s (I'm guessing on age but she still is a young adult at least).


This look is from early on in the movie, before her accident, 1920s sometime.  Very simple, sleek, and spot on for the decade.


The evening gowns in the film were my favorite by far.  This gown was for modern time (however I think it may also have shown up in a flashback to a New Years Eve party in the 1930s, I can't remember for sure though) and it was stunning.  The burgundy velvet is beautiful and elegant.  The fit is incredible.  It's almost as though the dress was painted onto Blake. 


I believe this look was for the 60s, maybe 70s, and it is another of my favorites in the movie.  While it was what we would now consider vintage, it still is very classic and modern.  You could wear this exact outfit today and still be chic.


Classic, simple, sophisticated look, again for modern time.  (Anyone else have a flashback to Gossip Girl with her sitting on the steps eating her lunch?)


Jacket envy here.


This look is amazing.  It's such the classic 1950s woman.  Perfect hair, beautiful, fitted dress, spotless makeup.  Gorgeous!

These are only a few of the looks from the film but everything was really spot on.   Costume designer, Agnus Strathie, did a fantastic job in this movie.  She absolutely built a believable and realistic wardrobe for the character.  The modern look and wardrobe of Adaline still has a very classic feel and you can spot pieces within it that she probably had in her closet for decades.  Adaline is a sophisticated and classy woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment