Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Project Tuesday

I decided several months ago that I wanted to recreate some of the things that I find on Pinterest and love but either can't afford, or are old seasons so can't find to buy anywhere.  I even bought fabric to start on some of the projects (back in April).  I finally got started on one of them.

I have been in love with the Boston Proper shirt since I first saw it on Pinterest:

I love this shirt!!!  I want it and would rock it!  Really annoyed I can't find it on the site it takes you too.  Must be an old season?  Want very badly!!

Unfortunately, it must be an old season shirt because I couldn't find it anywhere on their site.  But I've been mildly obsessed with this shirt.  So, I decided I would make my own.

Finding a similar fabric was the hardest part of this project.  I love the cut out patterns and embroidery on this one.  I looked everywhere and even looked at curtains and table clothes (channeling Gone With The Wind), but still couldn't find anything that I loved.  I did eventually find an eyelet that I thought would work.

So, I pulled out my sewing and pattern making supplies and went to town making a pattern:



My favorite tool in the world!  My iron.  j/k BTW.  I've had this iron for two years and have only used it once for a craft project.  I hate ironing clothes, but an iron is essential when sewing.  It's so important to press seams as you go.


Drafting my pattern.  I forgot how much I really do enjoy pattern making.  I wanted to just make patterns all night long.


Fabric all cut out and ready to sew.  At this point in time though, I didn't have any white thread so things got put on hold until I went and bought some.


Then last night I got it all sewn together.  Unfortunately, I don't love the end result, so I have it on my dress form and am working on figuring out how to change it so I like it better.  I added a ribbon at the bust and I do like that but overall I'm not in love with the shirt.  I think I'm going to cut out some of the circles (that you can't really see in the pictures) in the eyelet pattern and see if that helps any.  But I think the big problem is the fabric choice.  The eyelet doesn't drape and is more stiff than the Boston Proper shirt.  I'll keep playing with it though and see what I can do to make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment