Friday, May 10, 2013

What/Who Is An Untraditional Fashionista?

I am perhaps a bit of an oxymoron.  I don't consider myself a fashionista in the literal sense.  I don't follow fashion religiously.  I don't spend hours upon hours at the mall or flipping through fashion magazines.  I can't look at a garment and tell you who the designer is off hand (most of the time anyway).  I don't get a new wardrobe every season to keep up with the current trends.  I don't own any designer clothing.  I don't subscribe to WWD (Womens Wear Daily).  I pretty much always wear jeans and a tee shirt and hardly ever do my hair and even less often do I wear makeup.

So why do I consider myself a fashionista at all? 

That is a good question.  I don't consider myself an authority in the world of fashion at all.  However, I studied fashion in school, have designed collections for about a dozen fashion shows, I've received multiple awards for my designs and pattern making, have quite an extensive wardrobe, worked retail for about a decade, love, love, love textiles, and have a deep appreciation for well made clothing and fine fabrics.  I love the world of fashion and clothing but am not consumed by it.  Thus, I consider myself "An Untraditional Fashionista."

I believe that fashion is everywhere.  Not just in the clothes we wear.  Fashion is life, as cliché as that sounds.  Fashion is in the clothes we wear, in the cars we drive, in the way we decorate our houses, in our appliances, in the pets we own, in how we arrange our desks, in the beauty of flowers and nature.  Fashion is everywhere and fashion is inspired by everything.

In my blog, I don't plan to spend a considerable amount of time on current trends, what top designers are doing, or who wore it best type things.  I may still do those things to some degree but I don't believe that will be the focus of my writings.  I just plan to share what things I love and what inspires me.  I hope to design clothing based off of those things and share those as well.

My thought is that with the world and technology being what it is now, we are surrounded by fashion and resources.  I, like I am sure many, am pretty hooked on Pinterest.  I have multiple boards dedicated to fashion on it.  I have one for wardrobing ideas, one for fashion project tutorials and patterns, and one for clothing and accessories that I see online and just love, not to mention boards for hair, makeup, nails, etc.  If you look at my "Clothing <3" board, you would see that the things I love are not the things I told you I wear.  There are a few reasons for that... mostly that the things I admire and love, aren't the things that are practical to my current lifestyle.  I love classic clothing.  I love tailored, well made suits and dresses.  I love silks and wools.  However, I manage a warehouse.  I have 3 messy, jumpy dogs.  I can't wear skirts and heels to work.  I don't want dogs jumping all over my fresh silk dresses.  I don't have thousands of dollars of disposable income every month to spend on apparel.  Things like that.  Those might sound like excuses and to some degree maybe they are.  But that is the life I lead and who I am.  Maybe one day I will have a life where I can be different than what I am now but that isn't the case now and I am happy with that.  That doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate clothing construction, design, or fashion any less.  I still like to dress up on weekends or for events.  I have dozens of different shoes.  I have plenty of dresses.  I have nice, quality clothing but those aren't my every day reality.

In short, this is who I am.  I will share with you the things that inspire me, things I appreciate, things I create, etc.  Welcome to my blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment