Thursday, October 9, 2014

Too Old for Paper-dolls???




Now that the weather is starting to change, I am realizing that we are getting close to Christmas.  That is a scary thought.  Especially if you, like me, like to try and DIY some or all of your gifts.

I decided that for my niece I want to make her her own paper dolls (if you know her, keep this on the down low, obviously).  She is 8 and loves to play dress up so I thought this would be a fun activity for her and would be portable for times and places she can't actually dress up.  So, to get some inspiration on how to put this together, I turned to my IBFF (internet BFF), Pinterest.  While my good friend didn't give me as much inspiration on putting this project together as I had hoped, I did manage to distract myself and find paper dolls that made me want to go back to playing with one of my childhood pastimes.

The first one that got me excited was the Louis Vuitton Paper Doll collection featured on Refinery29 (can be found here).  I couldn't get my computer to download these, but I think they would be cool to frame in my sewing room (or cut out and play with should the mood strike):
I love the use of watercolor on the clothes.  I think it gives a cool effect.

The next one that I was excited about was done by another blogger, Stardustsoul.  I hope she won't mind me sharing these with you but I think she did a fantastic job.  Check out her page and her beautiful paper doll here

paper_doll

Stardustsouls is more like what I have in mind for my niece.

The thing I'm having a hard time deciding is if my doll should be an actual photo of my niece so that there is no doubt that her doll is her, or if I should sketch a croquis to look like her.  My debate is this: If I use a photo, will it be weird that the clothes are pen and ink renderings instead of "real" clothes, since the picture will be real? and if I sketch her, I'm worried I won't be able to pull off a good enough resemblance.  I haven't done many (if any) children fashion sketches before so I view it as a bit of a challenge.  Any advice?  Anyone? (Bueller?.... Bueller?)

I remember being a kid and loving to flip through the paper doll books at Barnes and Noble.  I never got many, but I sure loved to look at the clothes.  I had the Samantha American Girl set that I played with at my Grandmas.

Don't you think it would be cool to have a personalized one when you were a kid?  I hope she'll like it as much as I would have when I was a kid.

I, of course, ended up creating a Pinterest board of some of the fave paper dolls that I found as well.  Check it out: http://www.pinterest.com/UntradFashion/paper-dolls/

No comments:

Post a Comment